My blog

A little bit about me and a lot about the things we do.

Saturday 9 September 2017

New Experiences

I have been plotting for a while about going to a horse event at Spruce Meadows.  We first discovered this place our first Christmas in Alberta.  They host a wonderful Christmas Market and I have enjoyed shopping there.  Last year we brought Brianne along with us to be a part of our Christmas adventure there.  Later that month Ron and I drove through Spruce Meadows to take in their festival of lights.  So Spruce Meadows was not new to us BUT we did go there for a new experience.
The Masters was being held their.  We had never been to a horse jumping competition before and I was quite excited.  Ron and I rode the motorcycle.

The first competition we took in was the ATCO Founders Classic.  The horses were jumping 1.50 m.  Thankfully the lady next to us was full of knowledge for us and we got into the event.  Watching the jump off was very exciting.
First there is silence, then a collective "oooo" when the horse knocks a rail down and then a generous clap for all but even more so for those that complete a clean run.


Twice a rider was knocked off when the horse decided that he was not going to do the jump.  Once the horse came running from the far end of the course to right up the hill near us.


Both times the riders were okay and in fact the one rider rode a different horse in the same competition and won with that one.


The next competition was the CANA Cup with horses jumping 1.60 m.  It is really beautiful watching the horse leap over the rail and turn quickly to set up for the next jump.


 The competition ended just in time for us to catch the last of the musical ride.  It's always a little thrill to see the Mounties in their red surges and knowing that I am standing beside my Mountie who has one of those hanging in the closet at home.
 
We went to the stables to meet these massive, amazing creatures after their show.  They are such beautiful horses.
 And of course everyone needs a cool shower after a hot day of riding!
We stopped to check out a little dog jumping competition as well....water jumping!

We had our lunch and tea during the horse jumping competition and enjoyed our ice cream treat after.  There was only one thing left to do....shop a bit.  Since it's my birthday month Ron bought me an Ammolite necklace.  Ammolite is a stone found in Alberta.  This one was mined and designed by the Blood Tribe in Southern Alberta.  I'm spoiled.  
Ron and I drove to the Crossiron mall and had a little snack of sushi.  We then used a gift card that Andrew and Brianne gave us at Christmas time.  Ron and I went to a movie.  That might not be strange for any one reading this but this was my first movie that I have ever gone to. 
So this was a day of new experiences.  The good thing is that I got to do all the new experiences with my old faithful!

1 comment:

Diwakar said...

Hello Penny. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also glad to go through your blog post pictures with descriptions and enjoyed your new experiences in Alberta. I am truly blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you and about your family and life in the Lord Jesus Christ being christian. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the PASTORAL MINISTRY for last 38 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have young people from your contacts come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time or if your have empty nest you could also come and work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have life changing experience. My email id is:dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. LOOKING forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends. Looking forward to hear fromyou very soon. God willing I will be coming to Calgary, Canada to visit our son and his family in the month of May 2018 and will be so glad to stop by and meet you.